Á¶ ȸ 5560
Æ®·¢¹é http://www.artiaco.com/home/bbs/tb.php/artnews/431
±ÛÀÚÅ©±â
Kim Bo-sul
Mixes Art & Technology

A scene from Kim Bo-sul¡¯s work ¡°Shadow, My Shadow¡± / Courtesy of the artist

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia
Staff Reporter

Art meets technology in the works by New York-based multimedia artist Kim Bo-sul.

Kim, who is also a video designer, animation filmmaker and painter, directed a piece, ``Shadow, My Shadow,'' that was picked for the 2011 Prague Quadrennial of Performance Design and Space. This is the largest event presenting contemporary work in performance design, with entries from 70 countries.

``Many years ago, I visited Prague to see the Quadrennial exhibition. I thought, `one day I want to work in this field!' So when I found out I was selected for the 2011 Quadrennial, it was like a personal goal coming true. I am honored to be selected as a visual artist who has been exploiting theatrical elements, performance, environment and audience to create new forms and genres,'' she said, in an e-mail interview with The Korea Times.

``Shadow, My Shadow'' is a multimedia performance that combines choreography, video and hand-drawn animation. Kim said it is about a girl on a journey of self-discovery who discovers a dark but true side of herself.

``She falls into unconsciousness where she encounters her true self. There is a landscape of creatures formed with body parts; this image projected, flies around her. Her outer self and inner self are struggling, mingling and embracing each other,'' Kim said, describing her piece.

Kim actually based, ``Shadow, My Shadow'' on her experience moving abroad. ``This was a manifesto for me to break out from my own box of cultural and social programming to see this world with pure, clear eyes,'' she said.

As a child, Kim discovered a talent for drawing, but it was during a summer trip to Europe in 2002 that she found her true passion.

``I was desperate to find what my heart really wanted since I could not find it through my Korean college education... On my last day, I accidentally got a ticket to see `The Lion King,' the musical directed by Julie Taymor. While I was watching it, my heart was touched and tears started flowing. It was the moment I found the true passion of my life. That is what I want to do,'' she said.

After graduating with a degree in painting from Hongik University, Kim decided to pursue her master's degree in experimental animation at the California Institute of the Arts. ``It was a perfect environment to freely explore my experiments in art,'' she said.

Kim chose to specialize in digital media art because she wanted to create something new to express, ``how we imagine, how we dream, how we think.''

``I mix art with technology; the handmade quality of film-making with live performance; still images with moving images; 2-D with 3-D; and Oriental aesthetics with Western ideas. These are combinations expressing how my mind moves, that is often a non-linear collage of memories, personal history and cultural references. It is like a visual dream,'' she said.

Aside from her experimental work, Kim has also worked for the Walt Disney Animation Studio on the upcoming animated film, ``Tangled,'' and for The Blue Man Group on show visuals and TV ad spots. She currently works for GMD Three Studios to create concert tour visuals for the likes of Eminem and Ludacris; and for 3LD Media and Theater.

``All this commercial and experimental experience has helped me enrich and expand my vision, technically and artistically that will eventually influence my own productions,'' she said.

Kim's works have been exhibited in Korea, Mexico, Indonesia, Austria, India and the U.S. A video reel of her works can be found on her website bosulkim.wordpress.com.

As a young artist trying to make it in New York, Kim believes Korean artists have what it takes to make it in the international art world.

``Someone said Korean artists are the new poetic visionaries today. I think our strong education and efforts from the older generation have injected this generation with a blast of great artistic talent. The world recognizes us,'' she said.

Ãâó: ÄÚ¸®¾ÆŸÀÓÁö

À̸ðƼÄÜ ÀÔ·Â
3f1ead3c22
À̸§   ºñ¹ø   ¸ÞÀÏ   ȨÇÇ